THERAPY - to assist an individual, couple or family in working through presenting issues or problems: mood problems (anxiety, depression, anger / impulsivity, living in a challenging world); relational problems (between partners, parents-children, extended family, work-related, social); health problems, to the extent influenced or exacerbated by cognition (see Health Psychology/Wellness, below); school problems (difficulty with learning or retaining information; with study, attention or organization, etc.); adjustment problems (loss of a loved one, marital change, re-location, employment); health status change (late onset degenerative or chronic disability, head injury).
- to maximize wellness by developing a more positive, hopeful outlook on life; to collaborate on a Life Plan to meet specific goals desired.
- Help with parenting - dealing with behavior problems, discipline, school problems, etc.
HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY/WELLNESS - to assist with the challenge of breaking self-defeating habits; to maximize the power of cognition (thinking) to influence overall well-being; to leverage an individual's efforts at weight-loss / management.
TESTING / ASSESSMENT - I am no longer performing neuro-psych evaluations, but do continue with "spectrum" evaluations.
NEURO-REHAB - to assist individuals after injury to the nervous system (e.g. stroke, brain injury), to minimize functional limitations and maximize remaining capabilities.
FORENSIC - I am no longer performing forensic evaluations.
CONSULTATION - with parents, teachers, agencies, clinics. For school-related issues; behavioral treatment/planning consults; parenting consults specific to diffability issues (e.g. "spectrum" challenges).
Photo by Bonita Fisher
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
---- Friedrich Nietzsche
Photo by Patricia Boulter for AbandonedMinesNC.com
Inukshuk (in-ook-shook) are stone markers erected by the Inuits of the Arctic as signposts and directional aids. The traditional meaning of the inukshuk is “someone was here” or “you are on the right path.” A welcome sight they were to lonely travelers through forbidding landscapes. Interestingly, they are built from indigenous stone on hand by the balancing of one atop the next. Balance. Is essential.
SERVICES FOR CHILDREN:
- Help with educational struggles, study habits, behavioral problems.
- Help with mood issues (anxiety, fears, withdrawn, depression, etc.).
- Diagnostic determination* / assessment of learning strengths and style preferences as well as areas of challenge/difficulty.
- Remediation and accomodation strategies for areas of difficulty, concurrent with leveraging areas of strength.
- DIFFabilities (what some term disabilities): identifying academic, social and personal strengths; building on strengths and preferences to maximize capabilities and contributions.
* includes complete neuropsychological evaluation
Note to referral sources: Applicable referrals for therapy include those experiencing problems with mood (anxiety, depression), sleep (too little, too much), behavior (anger, impulsivity, distractibility, difficulty concentrating), dealing with life transitions (divorce, death, career, etc.), tenacious habits, or weight loss/management.